Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Awkward Moments...

I think I'm pretty good at saving a situation in where I would appear like a dork, I just twist it at the last second.
Like I went to call my friend and said, "Hello is Jake there?"
The lady said, "No, you have the wrong number."
I said, "No... I'm trying to avoid him..."

We ALL have those moments where you say something that is just a fleeting thought you express totally innocently, when in fact, once you hear the words, you know that it's too late. Someone is going to get offended. It's out there... you can almost SEE the sound vibrations bouncing off the wall and enter into the others' ear. There's no going back. You wait for the impact - The moment it will register in the minds of others around you what you just said. There's nothing else to do but wait for what they have to say.

There's nothing worse right?

Wrong!

I'd have to say what's worse than that, is when you don't realize what you say UNTIL a person brings it to your attention. There's no way out of that situation. You realize what you said but at first you don't know how it could've been taken wrong or how they misunderstood... There's just no digging yourself out of those situations because at that point, you're so flustered and taken aback that you can't think of anything to say to get yourself out of this situation you put yourself in. (It's a problem for us who suffer from No-Metal-Filter-itis... it's an epidemic) The best things to do in these situations that I've found are:

A.) Pretend your phone is going off
B.) Pretend to faint

C.) Change the subject as quickly as possible!

*Travel
*Politics
But the thing I found the absolute BEST is to just Laugh!!! Turn an awkward situation into a moment between friends that you can later blog about :)

So on facebook, There was a picture of a couple on their wedding day. (I don't remember which couple it was) but the picture was of that moment when the couple comes out of the temple. Everyone cheers and It's their first appearance as husband and wife! Well, I was with my friend Natalie and I said, "Oh sad! This groom is on crutches! Oh that SUCKS! I wonder if he's miserable! (in pain) I would NOT like to be on crutches on my wedding day and I wouldn't want my husband to be in crutches either! That sucks!" Natalie looked at me and said, "WELL MY HUSBAND WAS IN A WHEELCHAIR! WHAT DO YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THAT?!" Oh man, it was SO funny but so awkward. How do you dig yourself out of that one??? I started to reach for my phone to "save me" it wasn't in my pocket. I started to bring my hand up to my forehead to faint but you know - I was on tile... I haven't traveled anywhere, or watched the news lately so I had no ammo to change the subject. Before I knew it, I was laughing so hard! Oh man, what an awkward moment that turned into the perfect awkward moment between two best friends. So when you find yourself in these moments, just laugh and create a moment that you can laugh about and blog about later :)

- Yours Truly,
The Queen of Awkward Moments!



1 comment:

  1. Hahaha!!! Of man it was SO FUNNY! For the record everyone, I wasn't seriously offended.. :)

    ReplyDelete