Friday, April 15, 2011

Family Prayer

I can't think of a better way to end the day then gathering around as a family and saying family prayer. It doesn't happen very often for me because my family is gone by the time I wake up and asleep by the time I get home. But I always look forward to it Thursday nights, since my parents come home late from singing in the Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and on the weekends as well.

Family prayer is such a great way to gather together as a family and pour our hearts out to our Heavenly Father about our gratitude for our blessings, and join our faith together for the trials that we face as individuals and as family members. I am so grateful for my parents.
They are just the most wonderful people in the world.

My beautiful mother who is SO FUNNY and witty, cool and classy, spiritual and intelligent. My sister and I call her "Word Girl." (the pbs show. We say it with the flourish too) She is the smartest person I know! She is my best friend and my confidant. You will never find a more spiritually in-tuned person. She is the quintessential Mother in Zion. She helps everyone with anything they need and I owe my entire life to this selfless woman! I love her with all my being! She deserves a first class ticket to the celestial kingdom (if only for the mere fact, she raised such a perfect daughter:)

As for my dad, "Fajah" I call him. There are no words to describe how much I look up to that man. He is everything a father should be (even though he could never change a oil or fix a leak in a pipe). I sometimes take for granted the power he holds in our home as the patriarch of our family. He leads and guides and gives the most incredible counsel. If he's awake when I get home, I will go sit on his bed and wait for him to put down his book to talk. Now my Dad doesn't sleep very well at night so he takes Ambien to sleep. It. Is. HILARIOUS!!! He gets so drugged out and will usually fall asleep with his book on his face... but sometimes, if I'm lucky, he'll be coherent enough for our tradition of "5 Questions." I can ask my dad any 5 questions and he'll discuss each answer with me whether it be a Doctrinal question, early childhood question, current events, or HIS thoughts on what the future will bring. Usually he falls asleep after the 3rd question but I count myself blessed for his knowledge and counsel on those matters we discussed in the 3. My most spiritual moments have happened with my dad and I know a lot of others can say the same thing, he is truly a man of God. It really makes a difference to go to sleep knowing the priesthood is always present in your home.

Usually after family prayer, we will sing a hymn. For many many years (after my sibs moved out) our family nights consisted of gathering around the piano and singing hymn after hymn. I will treasure those moments forever. I am so grateful for the spirit that music brings into our lives and family. It brings us closer together and it reaffirms my faith that THIS was the family I was supposed to be sent to here on earth. I LOVE you guys!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my heavens I LOVE your parents! They truly are a man and woman if God. I love everything you said about them cuz I've always felt that way but didn't know how to put it in words!

    Gosh I just LOVE THEM! I don't even know what else to say!! They truly are your greatest blessing and you're so lucky to have TWO of the best parents ever!

    ReplyDelete